Transforming our world without recreating the past
An intensive seminar for change makers, activists and influencers
“Imagine a future world in which we all value people and life and participate in the flow of generosity. A world where sharing our gifts and the mundane tasks of life are both done with wholehearted willingness, free of coercion. A world where attending to everyone’s needs is the organizing principle.”
— Miki Kashtan, Reweaving Our Human Fabric: Working Together to Create a Nonviolent Future.
1. Part I The Fundamentals of Nonviolence
An opportunity to align with the principles of nonviolence and bring these values into your work or activism.
· Learn how to make your work for change consistent with your vision, values and goals
· Transcend your despair and anger and get inspired about what’s possible
· Recognize the importance of inner work
· Transform judgment to embrace everyone’s humanity and needs, including those with opposing views
2. PART II From conflict to connection
Despite the shared commitment to goals and common, many movements for change, from small to large, have been plagued with internal and external conflict.
· Uncover and release the dominant norms of competition, command and control
· Learn how to overcome conflict avoidance and engage with it productively
· Discover the power of dialogue to support collaboration
· Build skills in dialogue, finding common ground, listening and focusing on practical rather than ideological solutions
3. Part III Empowerment and collaboration
A lot of social change work takes the form of reactive and scripted activity that can repeat patterns of power, control, competition, scarcity, and mistrust that characterize the culture at large.
· Move beyond guilt, shame, and defensiveness to mobilizing your privilege for the benefit of all
· Empower yourself to engage with people who are in positions of privilege relative to you effectively and without draining your own resources
· Develop capacities for building alternative institutions on any scale
· Creating collaborative systems that make it easier for all to collaborate even under stress
· Find ways of mobilizing the combined power of dialogue, constructive program, and nonviolent resistance in designing long-term campaign for systemic change
Full course 2 nights 3 days, excluding Miki Kashtan's fee of £225, which is paid separately.
Residential single room £300; shared room £260 (per person)
Non-residential, including lunch and supper £220
For modular options, please enquire.
Applications are encouraged from teams of people.
About the trainer:
Miki Kashtan is inspired by the role of visionary leadership in shaping a livable future, and works toward that vision by sharing the principles and practices of Nonviolent Communication through mediation, meeting facilitation, consulting,
She is Lead Collaboration Consultant at the Center for Efficient Collaboration and a co-founder of Bay Area Nonviolent Communication (BayNVC). She blogs at The Fearless Heart and is developing a site dedicated to Facing Privilege. Miki has supported nonprofits, corporations, community groups, government agencies, and others, helping hundreds of people work better together. is the author of Spinning Threads of Radical Aliveness: Transcending the Legacy of Separation in Our Individual Lives and The Little Book of Courageous Living. Her latest book, Reweaving Our Human Fabric: Working together to create a Nonviolent Future (2015), explores the practices and systems needed for a collaborative society.
Event organizers in Prague in 2017 interviewed Miki about her reasoning, vision, and passion for this type of transformative work and created this video.