Change the world through public speaking
Facilitator: John Paul Flintoff
Event time: Mon 5th Apr 2021 at 6:00pm - Mon 3rd May 2021 at 7:00pm
If you had the chance, would you change the world? Of course you would. But how? You may want to stop something bad, or start something wonderful. Either way, to have real impact you need to share it, speak about it – in person, online, or both.
Register Your Interest
Revised Dates Coming Soon
Most people dread public speaking. This public speaking course will help you to think about it in a new way and change the world with your words. Over five weeks, you will learn to face any audience with confidence – and take your message wherever it needs to be heard.
At a glance
- Find inspiration and fresh ideas for sharing your message widely to change the world, through this public speaking course
- Learn practical skills, to avoid mistakes and embellish what’s good
- Give and receive mutual support
You will gain
- A sense of community with other speakers, and a chance to practice
- Mastery of time-honoured rhetorical skills (without the associated fakery!)
- True stories of success and failure, and what you can learn from them
This course is for you if you feel driven to share something important beyond your immediate circle. It may be something with national, or international, significance. Or it may be something less obviously “important” but with real potential to brighten people’s lives.
In this course, you’ll learn:
- How to understand your audience
- Select and shape your material, depending on whether you aim to unsettle or reassure
- Polish your talk for best effect
- Memorise what you need to remember, and be prepared to go off-script if necessary
- Deliver your talk powerfully even (or especially) when you look visibly nervous.
Mondays: April 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th and May 3rd
“In America, Flintoff’s book would be titled The Indispensable Guide to Giving an Unforgettable Speech. Which would be absolutely accurate, if less modest.” – Jay Heinrichs, author of Thank You For Arguing
“An incredibly engaging speaker, able to make you laugh, think and cry all at the same time! We received some of the best feedback to date from this event. We can’t recommend him enough.” – Organiser, Speaking event in City of London
“Very good. Very funny… In fact, it made me laugh.” – Harold Pinter, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature
“That was one of the most profound and incredible stories I have ever come across or heard. I am staggered at his strength and bravery.” – Audience member, hour-long talk via Zoom
John Paul Flintoff
Author of How To Change The World, and most recently of A Modest Book About How To Make An Adequate Speech. Published in 16 languages worldwide. Founder editor of the Financial Times magazine, illustrator and theatrical improviser. Has spoken on four continents, to audiences of as many as 5,000 people at once - most often under the title, “How To Change The World”.Visit Tutor's Website